2020 Summer Camp Cancelled
To All Parents:
Since the beginning of March, we have been monitoring Local, State and Federal communications, guidelines, recommendations and advisories regarding the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). There are many factors we had to consider when deciding whether or not Summer Camp could proceed as planned. We know being able to provide a camp is critical to many working parents. Benchmarking off other reputable camp programs, we have learned the following:
- All Duval County School Summer camp programs are cancelled for the Summer.
- The St. Johns County Sherriff’s Office has cancelled their Summer camp as well as St. Johns County School Systems.
- The Jacksonville Zoo, Marineland, and the Alligator Farm Summer camps have been suspended. They are waiting until 2 weeks after Phase 2 is in effect to go over the data, then will decide whether they will move forward.
- The JCA is offering summer childcare called J Days of Summer. J Days of Summer follows recommendations from government and health organizations in order to provide the safest experience possible . This will include all staff wearing masks and eye protection, daily temperature checks and medical questionnaires for staff and participants, increased hand washing policies/practices and more frequent disinfecting of surfaces and items. There will also be a reduction in group sizes and the elimination of group mixing.
- The YMCA is running camps, under heavy restrictions including smaller capacities, wearing masks, keeping kids separated from each other, having dedicated supplies for each child, sanitizing often, taking temperatures and doing health surveys at regular intervals. The YMCA is considered an essential business as their day camps are currently available for essential workers, which allows them to operate prior to and during Phase 1.
Phase 1, youth programs including Summer camps are to remain CLOSED. When we reach Phase 2, camps would be able to open, but would need to follow all guidelines released yesterday on the CDC website regarding youth programming and camps. Please feel free to view that information at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/Camps-Decision-Tree.pdf
Based on these most recent guidelines released yesterday we have decided that we will not be able to proceed with our Summer camp programming planned to start on June 3rd in a manner that we are comfortable and would provide the campers with a safe and positive experience. We even had some of our staff’s kids attend the YMCA camp format to better understand the camper experience given the restrictions we would need to operate under. We will continue to monitor the situation involving COVID-19 and youth programming throughout the Summer. If we are able to provide a shortened Summer Camp safely and, in a way, campers would enjoy, we will consider it as things become more clear and if requirements around social distancing are eased in particular.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause and very much wish we had been able to proceed as we know this has been a valued service and experience for our campers and their families in the past.
We will be refunding all those that have registered for camp. Please do not reach out to Paypal directly. Given the number of registrants, we are working hard to figure out the quickest way to process refunds, and will release that information on Monday.
We appreciate for everyone being patient with us during this time.